Morton Man Held on $100,000 Bail for Eluding, Escape, Car Theft Charges

By Natalie Johnson /

A Morton man accused of attempting to evade arrest in two stolen vehicles Wednesday is being held in the Lewis County Jail on $100,000 bail pending future court appearances.

Tony L. Eastman, 51, was charged Thursday in Lewis County Superior Court with theft of a motor vehicle, possession of a stolen vehicle, attempting to elude police, third-degree escape and escape from community custody.

Superior Court Judge James Lawler imposed $100,000 bail, in accordance with a request from the Lewis County Prosecutor’s Office.

His next court appearance is scheduled for July 13.

According to court documents and the Lewis County Sheriff’s Office, deputies were in the Randle area Wednesday morning when they saw Eastman, who they knew to have a state Department of Corrections warrant for his arrest, driving a red Geo Metro. Eastman reportedly attempted to shield his face as he passed the deputy. 

The deputy ran the Geo’s license plate number and learned it was stolen from Tacoma. He attempted to stop the vehicle and Eastman allegedly turned down a dirt forest road. Two women exited the vehicle and Eastman continued to speed away, according to court documents. 

The deputy followed as Eastman continued to drive approximately 50 miles per hour on the dirt road around blind corners. He stopped at a dead end and ran into the woods. 

Deputies called for a K9 unit to respond. Meanwhile, they learned from Morton police that Eastman was now traveling on Silverbrook Road in a red Ford F-250 truck. Eastman had allegedly stolen the truck from an address on Silverbrook Road, according to court documents. 

Officers continued to pursue Eastman, who pulled the truck into a field and attempted to flee on foot.

A police K9 arrived and successfully apprehended Eastman. He was treated for a bite wound. 

After being arrested, Eastman allegedly broke free from deputies and tried to run away again, leading to the escape charge. He was rearrested after running about a half-block, according to court documents.