Men Charged in Chase That Ended With Car Fire, Damaged Patrol Vehicle Near Chehalis

By Natalie Johnson /

Two men made their first appearances in Lewis County Superior Court Monday on charges related to a police chase early Friday that ended with a stolen car bursting into flames and a damaged patrol vehicle. 

Robert A. Wynn, 24, of Kelso, was charged with attempting to elude a pursuing police vehicle, possession of a stolen vehicle, first-degree malicious mischief and driving with a suspended license. 

Wynn allegedly drove the vehicle involved in the chase.

Passenger Ryan L. Hicks, 26, of Longview, was charged Monday with attempting to elude a pursuing police vehicle and possession of a stolen vehicle.

The men were originally identified as Kalama and Oregon residents, respectively, by the Lewis County Sheriff’s Office after their arrests last week. 

Lewis County Superior Court Judge James Lawler granted Wynn $25,000 bail and Hicks $10,000 bail. 

Wynn has criminal history including violation of the Uniform Controlled Substances Act, hit and run and reckless driving. Hicks’ criminal history includes a misdemeanor escape charge and reckless endangerment. 

Wynn Court
Robert A. Wynn makes his first appearance Monday in Lewis County Superior Court on suspicion of attempting to elude police in a stolen car.

Natalie Johnson /

According to the sheriff’s office, at 3:50 a.m. Friday, a deputy patrolling on Market Street in downtown Chehalis saw a 1994 Honda Civic with expired license tabs. The deputy ran the plate number and learned the vehicle had been reported stolen in Kalama. 

Deputies attempted to stop the vehicle, which fled south on Jackson Highway.

As the car was speeding away, Hicks allegedly threw items out the car’s window including a backpack, a pair of bolt cutter and “other unknown metal objects,” according to court documents. 

When the car reached state Route 508, it hit 100 miles per hour in the oncoming lane, according to court documents. 

When the vehicle reached Interstate 5, it ran off the road and into a grassy area where Hicks, who had an outstanding warrant for his arrest, reportedly bailed out of the car and fled on foot. 

He was located at a cement business hiding in the wheel well of a camper. 

After Hicks bailed out, the Honda, driven by Wynn, continued to drive on the grass before ramming a deputy’s patrol vehicle, causing “extensive damage,” according to court documents. 

Wynn was taken into custody with assistance from the Washington State Patrol. 

According to the sheriff’s office, the stolen Honda caught on fire after Wynn was arrested.