By The Chronicle
Centralia Police Chief Carl Nielsen received an award for meritorious service from his own department on Tuesday after he handed out the annual awards to officers, volunteers and others for their service to the community.
Police Commander Stacy Denham gave the award to Nielsen on behalf of the department for his work to improve operations since taking the position in May 2015.
“I was surprised and humbled,” Nielsen told The Chronicle. “To receive that type of recognition from staff members is unusual and greatly appreciated.”
Members of the Centralia Police Department received the following awards:
• Five-Year Service Pin — Officers Phillip Weismiller and Josh Mercer
• 10-Year Service Pin — Sgt. David T. Clary and Officers Douglas W. L owrey, William D. Phipps and Michael P. Smerer
• Volunteers of the Year — Annette Eaton and Karen Davis
• Reserve of the Year — Jeff Slotnick
• Non-Commissioned Employee of the Year — David Sims
• Commissioned Employee of the Year — Officer John Dorff
• Chief’s Award Reserve Officer — Jeff Slotnick
• Chief’s Award Staff — Lexipol Workgroup: Sgt. Kurt Reichert, Sgt. Carl Buster, Sgt. David Clary, Sgt. Tracy Murphy, Officer Buddy Croy, Rose Kent, City Attorney Shannon Murphy-Olson and Human Resources Director Candice Rydalch. This workgroup updated the department’s procedures.
• Certificate of Commendation — Police Records Technician David Sims
• Certificate of Commendation — Detective John Panco
• Certificate of Commendation — Sgt. James Shannon
• Certificate of Commendation — Officer Buddy Croy
• Life Saving Award — Officers Michael Lowrey, Douglas Lowrey and Josh Mercer
• Award For Meritorious Service — Detective Corey Butcher
• Award For Meritorious Service — Detective Patricia Finch
• Award For Meritorious Service — Commander Stacy Denham